Tuesday, May 15, 2007

From James Comey's Testimony

SPECTER: And what did you think of the competency of Kyle Sampson?

COMEY: I thought Kyle was very smart. My dealings with him had always been pleasant. He seemed to work very, very hard.

SPECTER: What did you think of the competency or smarts of Kyle Sampson after you heard he wanted to ask for the resignation of Patrick Fitzgerald?

COMEY: Well, I don't think that was an exercise of good judgment, if it's something he really meant. It...

SPECTER: Can you give us an illustration of an exercise in good judgment by Kyle Sampson? I withdraw that question. Can you give us an example of an exercise of good judgment by Alberto Gonzales?

Let the record show a very long pause.

COMEY: It's hard -- I mean, I'm sure there are examples. I'll think of some. I mean, it's hard when you look back. We worked together for eight months.

SPECTER: That's a famous statement of President Eisenhower about Vice President Nixon: "Say something good." "Give me two weeks."

COMEY: Right. I -- in my experience with Attorney General Gonzales, he was smart and engaged. And I had no reason to question his judgment during our time together at the Department of Justice. We had a good working relationship. He seemed to get issues. I would make a recommendation to him. He would discuss it with me and make a decision. As I sit here today, I'll probably five minutes from now think of an example. But I did not have reason to question his judgment as attorney general.

1 comment:

mark said...

Specter's pissed.